Enjoy this hearty African vegan peanut soup/stew with rice balls to get the full experience!
- 1 cup jasmine rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (we use rice bran or grapeseed oil)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 zucchinis / courgettes
- ½ a large pumpkin
- 1 can /425g / 15 ounce diced tomatoes
- 4 heaped tablespoons unsweetened peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons tamari (or soy sauce)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups / 1-litre water (preferably filtered)
- Cook the jasmine rice following the instructions on the packet. However, add a ½ cup / 125ml of extra water.*
- In a large saucepan on low-medium heat, add the oil and the onion and cook for around 5 minutes.
- Chop the zucchinis and pumpkin into small wedges and add them to the saucepan.
- Add all of the soup mix ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the soup mix to the vegetables and stir well until combined.
- Continue to cook the soup on low to medium heat for 30 minutes and stir regularly until the soup starts to thicken.
- Take a serving spoon and mix and smash the rice until there is a smooth consistency.
- Scoop large portions of rice into a spoon and shape them into round balls using your hands. Tip: use dabs of cold water to bind the balls together.
- Serve with one rice ball on each plate and ladle some of the soup around it.
Water: You need extra water in the rice to make the texture softer to shape into rice balls. Alternatively, you can add more water once the rice is cooked.
- Diet: Vegan