This fragrant black rice salad is naturally gluten-free, packed with nutritious ingredients making it a refreshing side dish!
- 1½ cups / 300g black rice*
- ¾ cup roasted red bell peppers (from a jar), sliced into thin strips
- 1½ cups / 1 large cucumber, diced into cubes
- 35g / 1 large handful coriander/cilantro, chopped
- 10 mint leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup / 30g toasted slivered almonds*
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 small red chilli, sliced and deseeded (optional)
- Cook the rice as per packet instructions.
- While the rice cooks, chop all your ingredients and add to a large bowl.
- In a small jar, add all the dressing ingredients and shake well.
- Once the rice is cooked, give it a rinse under cold water and let it drain well. Please don’t skip the draining step as you will end up with a watery salad.
- Add the black rice to the large bowl and pour over the dressing.
- Toss well and serve.
- It will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Black rice: The black rice that I buy is parboiled already, so cooking time is around 20 minutes. However, if you buy it uncooked, it will take about 40 minutes to cook.
Almonds: You can use whole or flaked almonds as well.
See the tips sections above for ingredient substitutes.
- Diet: Vegan