Chargrilled capsicums make a great side dish or as an appetiser—Smokey, sweet and covered in garlic-parsley oil, they’re the perfect accompaniment at the dinner table.
- 1 kilo / 2.2 pounds medium red capsicums (around 6 capsicums)
- 1⁄3 cup / 65ml olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup / 25g parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (red wine vinegar)
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Wash the capsicums and pat them dry.
- Place the capsicums on the open flame on a barbecue, oven or grill, rotating once they start to blacken. This should take about 10 minutes. If you don’t have an open flame it will just take longer for them to blacken. 70-80% will be enough.
- Once they are pretty much black on the outside, place them in a bowl and put a lid on it – I normally use a bigger plate. Leave for 20-30 minutes. This helps trap the steam and for the skin to easily separate from the flesh.
- Peel them, and remove the stem and the seeds. Please do not wash them as that will wash off the flavour.
- Mix the olive oil, garlic, parsley, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste in a bowl and drizzle over the peppers.
- Serve immediately or wait for them to cool. They can be kept in the fridge for several days.
- Diet: Vegan