This comforting vegan chickpea spinach curry is a flavourful and healthy dish. It combines the goodness of chickpeas, fresh spinach, coconut milk and warming spices to create a deliciously creamy curry.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (or coconut oil)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch ginger piece, grated
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste (tomato concentrate)
- 1 can / 400g / 14.10 ounces can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (1.5 cups cooked chickpeas)
- 1 can / 400ml / 13.52 ounces unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 – 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 100g / 3.53 ounces fresh baby spinach
- Heat the oil in a medium pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and grated ginger to the pan. Cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Next, add in the cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, paprika, and chilli powder and mix for around 30 seconds until they release their aroma and coat the onions, garlic and ginger.
- Add in the tomato paste and cook for a further 1-2 minutes, stirring regularly. The tomato paste is thick, so stir it into everything else well.
- Add the drained chickpeas, coconut milk, and salt. Bring the mixture to a simmer and let it cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the fresh spinach and cook until wilted.
- Adjust seasoning to taste and serve over steamed rice or with naan bread. You can also garnish it with fresh coriander / cilantro and a dollop of unsweetened natural coconut yoghurt (optional).
- Diet: Vegan