This nourishing immune-boosting bean soup is perfect for those cool winter days or when you’re feeling a little under the weather.
- ¼ cup / 60ml olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, finely grated
- 4 cups cooked lima beans (canned is fine as well)*
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 6 cups / 1.5 liters vegetable broth (you can use this recipe or store-bought stock)*
- 1 small bunch of Tuscan kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and onion on medium heat until the onion has slightly browned.
- Add in the garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes, followed by the carrots, ginger, beans and turmeric cooking for a further 5-7 minutes.
- Once the ingredients are well combined, pour in the vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in the kale and season to taste.
- Once the kale softens a little, the soup is ready.
Lima beans: Use instructions earlier in the post if using dried beans for this recipe.
Broth: Alternatively add 1 teaspoon of powdered stock to 6 cups / 1.5 litres of boiling water. If you use my broth recipe, leave out the miso paste.
- Diet: Vegan