This slice recipe is a winner if you love zesty desserts. Perfect for vegan dessert lovers that enjoy lemon and citrus. Raw, refined-sugar free and healthy.
- 2 cups / 140g raw nuts (I used almonds and walnuts, not cashews)
- ½ cup / 40g shredded coconut
- 5 Medjool dates, pitted (or 1/4 cup maple syrup)
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 cups / 280g raw cashews (soaked for min 6–12 hrs, then drained and rinsed)
- 1 ½ cups / 360g coconut cream*
- ½ cup / 120ml fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)*
- Zest of one lemon
- ⅓ cup / 100ml maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder (optional – it’s for the yellow colour)
- For the base, line a 16cm x 25cm / 6.3 inches x 9.8 inches (approximately) baking dish with baking paper.
- Blend the base ingredients in a food processor until it’s slightly crumbly and it sticks together when you pinch it.
- Press the base mix on the bottom of the lined being tray evenly and set aside.
- For the topping, add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. You may need to stop and start a few times; if you have a temper, use that at the beginning.
- Pour the topping over the base and put some lemon zest on the top (optional). Place in the fridge for around 3 hours or until you can touch the top and it’s set. If you want it firmer, you can freeze it for 30 minutes before serving.
- Slice and enjoy!
Coconut cream: This may be one or two cans depending on the brand of coconut cream you use. It can also vary in colour from white to a slight grey. You can also use full-fat coconut milk, but it must be refrigerated first overnight to separate the cream from the water.
Lemons: Lemons come in many different varieties, from super sweet lemonade varieties to quite sour. So this will also alter the taste of your slice. You can add up to two additional tablespoons of maple syrup to sweeten it more to balance it. Alterntaively, use a little more zest. This comes down to personal preference. However, do keep in mind not to alter the quantities in the recipe too much as it may not set or blend well if there isn’t enough liquid in it.
This recipe was last update on the 8th of August 2021.
- Diet: Vegan