This spiced carrot and millet salad is perfect for work/school lunches as you can eat it cold as well. You can of course mix it up with whatever you have.
- ¾ cup millet
- 2 medium carrots, thin angle slices
- 2 small or 1 large red onion, sliced thinly
- 1½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- ¼ cup olive oil (plus extra for drizzling)
- 1 teaspoon salt (plus extra for plating, to taste)
- ⅓ cup sultanas
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 can / 400g 14.10 ounces chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- A large handful cilantro / coriander, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius (390 degrees Fahrenheit) and line a tray with baking paper.
- Toss the carrots, onion, garlic, turmeric, chilli, oil, and salt together until all the spices are covering the vegetables well.
- Spread onto baking tray evenly and roast until they start browning and slightly softening. This will take about 20 – 25 minutes. I normally take them out after 10 minutes and give it a toss to make sure that it bakes evenly and place them back in the oven.
- In the meantime, bring the millet to a boil with 1½ cups / 375ml of water. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer, covering and cooking for 20 minutes or until most of the water has absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit for around 5 minutes, covered.
- In a large bowl combine the roasted carrots and onions, sultanas, walnuts, chickpeas, cilantro, and millet. Drizzle some olive oil and add salt to taste.
- Give it a good toss and serve.
- Diet: Vegan