An Italian inspired dish with a twist, this quinoa risotto is quick and easy to prepare and the perfect nutrient-dense meal for the whole family to enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or sub vegan butter)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tamari sauce*
- 1 medium-sized / 300g / 10.58 ounces eggplant, cubed
- 180g / 6.35 ounces white cup mushrooms,* sliced (approx. 7)
- 1 brown onion, sliced into half-moons
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme, picked
- 2 cups white quinoa,* rinsed
- 2 cups / 500ml vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup chives, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Parsley, for serving
- For the vegetables: To a skillet on medium-high heat, add all the ingredients under the vegetable section and a teaspoon of water. Sauté for 5 minutes, then reduce to low heat and allow the flavours to reduce further in a sort of umami balm.
- For the quinoa: In the meantime, add to a medium-sized pot on high heat: quinoa, stock, rice wine vinegar and an additional ½ cup of water. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer and stir regularly for 10 minutes.
- Once the liquid has completely evaporated, turn off the heat for both the vegetables and quinoa, adding the quinoa from the pot to the vegetable skillet.
- Add the chives, nutritional yeast, and salt to taste. Stir through.
- Serve into bowls straight away, add cracked black pepper, and a sprig of parsley to garnish.
Tamari: You can use soy sauce instead if you don’t need this recipe to be gluten-free. If you’d like it to be soy-free as well, use coconut aminos instead.
Mushrooms: You can use various mushrooms, such as cremini, shiitake, chestnut or a medley of different species.
Quinoa: There are a few varieties of quinoa; we chose white as it is fluffiest – making it a great substitute for rice. If you have a medley variety on hand (white, red & black together), you can still use it in this recipe.
This meal will keep refrigerated for 3-4 days. When reheating, add a splash of stock or water and stir through to loosen the quinoa again.
- Diet: Vegan