Nutrient dense, this raw chocolate cake is decadent with beautiful citrus orange notes through it.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 ½ cups / 225g raw almonds
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 6 Medjool dates, pitted
- 2 cups / 280g raw cashews (soaked for at least 3 hrs, then drained)
- 8 Medjool dates, pitted
- 300g / 10.58 ounces silken tofu
- ½ cup / 110g coconut oil, melted (measured while solid)
- Juice and zest of 2 oranges
- 3 drops sweet orange oil
- ½ cup / 50g cacao powder
- 1 cup / 240g light coconut cream (or full-fat coconut milk)
- ¼ cup / 55g coconut oil, melted (measured while solid)
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- ¼ cup / 25g cacao powder
- Pinch of salt
- For the base, place all the ingredients in a food processor with an ‘S’ blade attachment and blend until you can pinch the mixture and it sticks together. This should take about 2 minutes.
- Press down this mixture in a 21cm or 8.5″ springform cake tin lined with unbleached baking paper. Set aside.
- For the filling, add all the ingredients in the food processor or blender and blend for around 3-5 minutes until you reach a creamy smooth consistency. You may need to scrape the sides down in between blends.
- Pour this mixture on top of the base and place in the freezer for about 1.5-2 hours or until the filling has firmed up.
- Make the topping. While the cake is setting, in a small saucepan, add the coconut oil and the coconut sugar on very low heat. Dissolve the sugar by stirring consistently.
- Add in the cacao powder and the salt, continually stirring. Make sure you don’t have the heat up too high. For it to stay raw, it can’t go higher than 40–49C (104–120F).
- Put the topping in a piping bag (or just use a spoon) and make swivels on top of the cake in all different directions.
- Put it in the fridge to set. This should take about 20 minutes for the topping to harden.
- Serve cold, slicing with a hot knife so that it doesn’t stick to the knife.
If you’d like to make this into a slice, just use a square or rectangular dish instead of a cake tin! It’s that easy 🙂
- Diet: Vegan