An easy and delicious appetiser using Springs finest! This vegan asparagus tart with herbed cashew cream is the perfect way to start any gathering.
- 1 sheet vegan puff pastry* (26x26cm / 10.2x10.2 inches or similar)
Herbed cashew cream
- 1 cup / 140g raw cashews, soaked*
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon French or Dijon mustard
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup fresh herbs, roughly chopped (you can use whatever you have on hand. I used dill, oregano, basil, and chives)
- 1½ bunches asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius (390 Fahrenheit) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove your sheet of puff pastry from the freezer and place it on the baking sheet to thaw out as per packet instructions and set aside.
- Add all the cashew cream ingredients besides the herbs to a small food processor (or high-speed blender) and process for around 90 seconds to 2 minutes or until you reach a silky smooth consistency. Make sure you’re scraping down the sides as you go.
- Add the fresh herbs and pulse a few times to incorporate.
- Spread the cashew cream over the puff pastry evenly, leaving about an inch / 2.5cm around the edges.
- Wash and trim your asparagus and then layer it over the top of the cashew cream. I like to do the alternating top to tail method and drizzle lightly with some olive oil.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for around 20-25 minutes or until the puff pastry is golden and crispy.
- Cut into 6 equal portions and serve while warm.
- You can store it in an airtight container for up to 2 days and reheat it in the oven before serving.
Puff pastry: Most store-bought puff pastry is vegan-friendly. I would, however, still always double-check the packet to make sure that you haven’t picked up a butter-based puff pastry.
Want tartlets? You can easily turn this single tart into four separate tartlets. Simply cut the pastry into four squares before you add the toppings and bake them. Everything else in the instructions will be the same.
- Diet: Vegan