A simple step-by-step tutorial on how to make vegan cream cheese frosting that’s creamy, tangy, sweet, and savoury. The perfect vegan butter & refined sugar-free addition to vegan cakes.
- ¾ cup / 85g raw cashews
- 2/3 cup / 140g coconut cream*
- ¼ cup / 80ml maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted or softened (see above tips for more info)
- ¼ – ⅓ tsp salt*
- Soak the cashews in boiling water for 20 minutes.
- Drain the cashews well and place them in the blender along with the other ingredients.
- Start slow and increase speed and blend until the cream is nice and silky smooth. If it starts to split, be patient and just keep blending until it’s smooth.
- Pour into a container and put in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours. Ideally, I make this the day before so it’s really nice and set.
- The cream cheese frosting is now ready for spreading!
- It can be stored in the fridge for 5-7 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- See ideas above for cake recipes to smear this frosting onto.
Coconut cream: Coconut cream is the thick part that sits at the top of a can of coconut cream or chilled coconut milk. For creamy, thick coconut cream, buy one that has guar gum in it.
Salt: Adjust the salt to taste. I like mine a little on the saltier side.
- Diet: Vegan