This is a super quick and easy vegan custard recipe that can be paired with your favourite fruit or dessert. Make it thin or thick, the options of this creamy pudding are endless!
- 2 cups / 500ml plant milk (I normally use organic soy)
- 2 tablespoons – ⅓ cup cornstarch*
- ½ cup / 100g raw granulated sugar (organic if in the US to make sure it’s vegan)
- ½ cup / 120g coconut cream (or full-fat coconut milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or vanilla seeds scraped from half a vanilla pod)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric (for colour, you won’t taste it)
- Add 250ml / 8.45 ounces of the milk to a medium-sized saucepan and place on medium-high heat until the milk warms up.
- In the meantime, add the rest of the milk and the custard ingredients to a bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Once the milk has come to a gentle simmer, pour in the custard mix and whisk for around 4-5 minutes until it starts to thicken or starts to stick to the bottom of the saucepan. You will feel it.
- Whichever one occurs first, then reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring for an additional 2 minutes. (If the custard is still too thin, keep cooking it. If you’ve reached your desired consistency, you can take it off the heat.)
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let it cool completely. Once cooled, if it’s a little lumpy when you stir it, give it a quick whiz with the electric whisk.
- Or you can serve it hot. Serving suggestions are mentioned further up in the post.
- Store in the fridge once cooled for up to 3 days.
Cornstarch: Please read notes above about how much cornstarch to add.
- Diet: Vegan