This creamy, warming, quick and easy vegan gingerbread latte is perfect for the holiday season to warm you up and enjoy a hot drink curled up on the couch.
- ¼ cup / 60ml coffee (2 shots espresso)
- 1½ cups / 375ml barista style plant milk*
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon mixed spice (optional)
- 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses*
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (or maple syrup)
- ½ cup whipped coconut cream (optional)
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- To a small saucepan on medium heat, add all the latte ingredients. Use a whisk to mix all ingredients well and stir while the milk warms up to a simmer. (If you own a handheld frother, use it to froth the milk as it’s warming up.)
- When it begins to gently simmer, take the saucepan off the heat and divide your latte into two mugs.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped coconut cream and freshly grated nutmeg for a truly aromatic latte. Enjoy immediately while hot.
Milk: Our milk choices would be either oat or soy, as they usually tend to froth better. This is also the case for “barista” marked options as they are designed for this specific purpose. The thicker-style milks with a higher fat content would be ideal.
Molasses: Blackstrap molasses is healthier than normal molasses as it contains more nutrients. It’s lower GI as it’s prossed to remove most of the sugar. It has a salty bitter flavour profile which balances out the latte with the coconut sugar.
Caffeine-free option: Use decaf coffee instead or use another ¼ cup / 60ml of milk to substitute it. Flavours won’t be the same, however it will still be super delicious!