A hearty classic that is great for bulk cooking or making for your family. This vegan minestrone soup is flavourful and super easy to make!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 3 stalks of silverbeet (aka chard), stems removed and finely chopped separately. Leaves roughly chopped.
- 1 can / 400g / 14.10 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 7 cups / 1.75 litres vegetable broth* (or boiling water)
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian herb mix* (mine had rosemary, thyme, and oregano)
- ¾ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 can / 425g / 14.99 ounces borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can / 425g / 14.99 ounces kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups dried shell pasta*
- ¼ cup / 18g nutritional yeast
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- In a large pot on medium-high heat, add the olive oil, onion, and garlic cooking until they release an aroma and slightly start to brown.
- Add in the celery, carrots, and silverbeet stalks and stir to incorporate. Let this cook for around 5 minutes, with the lid on.
- Once the vegetables have softened, add in the can of tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf, and liquid. Stir well to combine.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a gentle simmer. At this point, also add in the Italian herbs, fresh parsley, and all the beans. Keep the lid slightly askew to maintain a slow simmer to retain the liquid without reducing it for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, add in the dried pasta and cook for as long as the packet instructions say for the pasta to cook. I like to have it al dente, so I will take a couple of minutes off the cooking time. 5 minutes before you finish, add in the silverbeet leaves and stir in well.
- Once the pasta is cooked, it’s finished. Remove the bay leaf and mix through nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper.
Vegetable broth: I use this recipe for the vegetable broth or you can use store-bought.
Italian Herbs: You can use a combination of whatever Italian herbs you have on hand, just have the combination equal to two tablespoons. Other options are dried marjoram, sage or basil.
Pasta: Adjust the amount to less if using smaller pasta shapes. Reduce by about ½ a cup.
- Diet: Vegan