This vegan tempeh Reuben sandwich is comfort food that’s super quick and easy to make and is sure to be a crowd-pleaser! Layered with your favourite vegan cheese, sauerkraut, crunchy gherkins, marinated tempeh, and finished with the perfect sandwich sauce.
- ¼ cup / 55g vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil
- 300g / 10.58 ounces pre-marinated tempeh
- Vegan butter
- 4 slices of rye bread
- Vegan cheese, preferably Swiss
- 2 large or 4 small gherkins, sliced thinly
- ½ cup / 100g sauerkraut, red or white
- Sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Sandwich: Slice the block of tempeh into quarters and then cut thin strips of it lengthways.
- In a frying pan on medium heat, add the oil and fry the tempeh on both sides for around 2-4 minutes until golden brown. Set aside and wipe out the pan and place it back on medium heat.
- Butter one side of two slices of the bread. Place them butter side down in the frypan, then spread over the dressing on one piece and cheese on the other.
- Add half the tempeh, gherkins, and sauerkraut over the cheese, and wait for the bread to become nice and crispy on the bottom. Place the piece of bread with the sauce over the other and remove from the heat.
- Cut in half and serve straight away.
- Repeat the process for the second sandwich.
- Diet: Vegan