Flakey puff pastry topped with a rich pesto, sweet blistered cherry tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, and creamy feta. These vegan tomato tarts make for the perfect appetiser or snack at any gathering!
- 2 sheets puff pastry (26x26cm / 10.2x10.2 inches or similar, each)
- 2 teaspoons plant milk (I used soy, unsweetened)
- 800g / 1.76 pounds cherry tomatoes (various colours)
- 1.5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly cracked
- 1.5 cups / 50g (tightly packed) fresh basil, washed and drained well
- ¼ cup / 35g raw cashews (or pine nuts)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (freshly squeezed is best)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- Vegan feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- Basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celcius (425 degrees Fahrenheit).
- To another baking dish, add the washed tomatoes, vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper. Toss well to coat them evenly and put them in the oven to roast for 20 minutes. When finished, remove from the oven and set aside.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, place your puff pastry sheets to thaw out as per packet instructions, then set aside.*
- To a small food processor, add all the pesto ingredients and blitz until it’s reached a relatively smooth consistency. I like mine to be a little chunky. You can make it super smooth and creamy if you prefer.
- Once the pastry has thawed enough to handle, cut each sheet of pastry into four equal parts, then score another smaller square (or rectangle) inside (about 2cm / .8inch from the edge).
- Using your finger, dab the milk on the outside edge of the pastry. This will give the pastry a nice golden colour when baked.
- Coat the middle square with equal amounts of pesto (about 2 tablespoons) and top it with the baked tomatoes using tongs. Leave any excess tomato juices in the baking tray. Pack them pretty tight over the pesto, as they will shrink a little more in the oven.
- Place both the baking trays in the oven and bake for 18-25 minutes until golden brown. If your oven is not large enough to have them side by side, remember to swap the trays halfway through baking to ensure they bake evenly and all the way through.
- Let them cool for about 10-15 minutes, then top with the crumbled feta, pine nuts, and basil leaves.
Puff pastry: When you thaw out the pastry will vary depending on the brand you use. Check this before you start to know when it should be removed from your freezer.
- Diet: Vegan