Explore our collection of mouthwatering vegan Turkish recipes, including classics like Stewed Green Beans, Turkish Pizza, Bulgur Pilaf, and more.
Vegan TVP Borek Recipe
- 1 cup soy textured protein (TVP)
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stock cube, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ cup tomato passata
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 package vegan phyllo dough
- ½ cup unsweetened plain coconut yoghurt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or vegan butter, melted)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, combine the TVP and hot water. Let it sit for about 10 minutes until the TVP absorbs the water and becomes soft, then drain well.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, and sauté until softened and golden brown.
- Add the rehydrated TVP to the skillet and stir well. Sprinkle in the crumbled stock cube, ground cumin, paprika, and dried oregano. Mix everything together and cook for another 2-3 minutes to allow the flavours to meld.
- Pour in the passata, salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes until the filling thickens and it’s moist but not watery.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the chopped fresh parsley. Let the TVP filling cool slightly.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celcius (400 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Lay one sheet of phyllo dough on a clean surface and brush it lightly with olive oil. Place another sheet of phyllo dough on top and brush it with oil as well. Repeat this process until you have used four sheets of the phyllo dough.
- Spread a portion (around a ⅓ of it) of the TVP filling evenly over the layered phyllo dough sheets, leaving a small border around the edges.
- Begin rolling up the layered phyllo dough and filling tightly to form a log shape.
- Repeat steps 6-8 with the remaining phyllo dough and TVP filling to create multiple smaller logs.
- Arrange the smaller logs on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, joining them together to form a round shape. Ideally, you would use a round baking dish for this dish to help the spiral keep its shape.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yoghurt, olive oil (or vegan butter), nutritional yeast, salt, and ¼ cup of warm water.
- Pour over the top of the borek and let it seep in a little.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until the phyllo dough is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the borek from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
- Diet: Vegan