This easy vegan walnut pesto is bursting with flavour and vibrant colour. Add it to your pasta, roasted or sauteed veggies, use it as a dip, or top any meal to take it to the next level.
- 2 cups / 70g (tightly packed) fresh basil, washed and drained well
- ⅓ cup / 30g walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (freshly squeezed is best)
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- Pepper, to taste (optional)
- Add all the ingredients to a small food processor and blend until you reach the desired texture. Add 1-3 tablespoons of water to achieve the desired consistency. I added 2 tablespoons for the consistency you see in the photos.
- Adjust seasoning or other components to taste.
- Add to a jar and top with olive oil to store for later in the fridge or enjoy straight away.
Save it for later? It will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. Top it with olive oil to stop it from browning (as it traps the air), and it will keep for longer. You can also freeze it in ice cubes and toss them through your dish.
Want a smooth pesto? Be sure to blend all the ingredients without the oil and water first; otherwise you won’t get a smooth sauce.
- Diet: Vegan