A vegan white Russian that is creamy, rich, and a little too easy to drink. The perfect cocktail for the holidays!
For cashew milk:
- ½ cup / 75g raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup*
- ½ vanilla bean pod, cut lengthways and seeds scraped out
- Pinch of salt
Alcohol (per cocktail):
- 40ml / 1.35 ounces vodka (we used Russian standard)
- 20ml / 0.67 ounce Tia Maria (or other vegan coffee liqueur)*
- For the cashew milk: Soak the cashews in 1 cup / 250ml of boiling water for 15 minutes. Drain the cashews, place them in a small high-speed blender (like a Ninja or NutriBullet) with maple syrup, vanilla, and salt, and add ¾ cup / 170ml of water. Blend until smooth, around 1-1.5 minutes. To make the milk extra silky, squeeze it through a muslin cloth. (It’s worth it.) This will remove all the grain that would be seen and tasted in the drink otherwise. Set aside in the fridge.
- To make a cocktail: In a glass, add two large ice cubes,* add the Tia Maria and vodka. Gently pour 30ml of the milk over the back of a teaspoon to get a layered effect. You can add more milk if you like. Stir before drinking.
Maple syrup: You can substitute it for your choice of liquid sweetener. Just keep in mind it will alter the flavour. If using agave nectar, try a little less as it’s sweeter than maple syrup. You can always add more in.
Coffee liqueur: Depending on which coffee liqueur you use, it may be more or less sweet. Adjust to your taste.
Cashew milk: You can store the milk in the fridge for three days, which means you can prepare it ahead of time or add the leftovers to other drinks. If you use 30ml of milk in each cocktail, the milk will make 7-8 White Russians. If you don’t have a small blender, you can double the recipe and make a bigger batch.
Ice cubes: Use large ice cubes as they melt slower than normal ones. Plus they look cool.
Please drink responsibly.
- Diet: Vegan