This vegan-friendly cabbage pasta recipe is delicious, easy, very cheap, and quick to make. Can feed lots of people with super simple ingredients.
- 500g / 1.1 pounds farfalle pasta (aka bow tie pasta or pasta of choice)
- 1 head of green cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ⅓ cup oil*
- Pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the pasta, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In the meantime, in a large pot on high heat, add in the cabbage and salt and place the lid on.
- Stir from time to time for it to cook down evenly. Cook with lid on for 10 minutes or until the cabbage is soft and has released water. At this stage, if the cabbage becomes too dry, add a splash of water to prevent burning.
- Remove the lid and continue cooking for a further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the oil and stir well; this will help you achieve slight browning of the cabbage. Just make sure to continue stirring and that it doesn’t stick to the bottom, cooking for a further 10-15 minutes.
- Add the cabbage to the pasta and stir well, adjust seasoning (if more salt is needed to taste).
- Serve with freshly cracked pepper on top.
Oil: You can use olive oil, sunflower oil, rice bran oil, vegetable oil, canola oil, or grapeseed oil. I use the latter.
- Diet: Vegan