This vegan cauliflower bake is so simple to make, uses minimal ingredients, is oil and gluten-free and super tasty. It’s the perfect crowd pleaser!
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 cup raw cashews
- ⅓ cup nutritional yeast
- 1½ tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups / 500ml vegetable broth (or water)*
- 1–2 teaspoons salt
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius (390 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. There should be enough water in the pot to fully immerse the cauliflower.
- In the meantime, wash and cut the head of cauliflower separating the florets into bite sized chunks. I find it easier to tear them apart with my hands so you don’t have as many crumbly pieces.
- You can add the leaves of the cauliflower to the bake, however I like to save mine to use for soup later.
- Add the cauliflower to the boiling water and cook for 10 minutes and then drain.
- In the meantime, in a high-speed blender,* add in the sauce ingredients and blend until smooth. Try the sauce and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Place the cauliflower in a baking dish that fits in all the cauliflower in relative single file and pour the sauce over the top.
- Using the back of a spoon, press the cauliflower down so that it’s fully immersed in the sauce. It’s okay if you have a few pieces sticking up, just make sure they have been pushed under the sauce so they’re not dry.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the sauce starts to bubble and brown on top.
- Serve on its own or with some bread and salad.
Broth: If using broth/stock, use less salt. If you’re using water, use a little more salt. Try the sauce once you’ve blended it and adjust the seasoning to taste. Keep in mind that it will be going over cooked cauliflower so you may like it slightly saltier to balance out the plain cauliflower as it bakes.
Blender: If you don’t have a high-speed blender, soak the cashews overnight in cold water or 20 mins in boiling water. Make sure to drain them before adding them to the blender.
- Diet: Vegan