Enjoy these delicious eggplant patties in a rich Italian-style tomato sauce that are perfect served with a side of bread. This is a great meal prep recipe!
- 4 medium-sized eggplants, skins left on and diced
- 1 bunch basil, leaves removed from stem
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups breadcrumbs,* (using Italian fresh bread)
- 2 cups vegan parmesan*
- 2 flax eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 680g / 1.5 pounds chunky passata
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- ¼ cup vegan red wine (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- For the patties: Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius (390 degrees Fahrenheit) and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- In a large pot on medium-high heat, bring water to a boil. Add a good pinch of salt and the eggplant and cook, occasionally stirring as they float to the top. It will take around 15 minutes. Try one of the eggplants and see if it’s cooked. When they’re done, strain and leave to drain in a colander. Set aside.
- In the food processor, put in the basil and pulse until it is still coarse but looks like it’s finely chopped.
- In a large bowl, add in the strained eggplant, basil, garlic, breadcrumbs, parmesan, flax eggs, salt, and pepper.
- Use your hands to combine well and then shape into patties and place on baking trays.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes on one side and then flip them and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the patties are baking, prepare the tomato sauce.
- For the tomato sauce: In a medium pot on medium-high heat, add in the olive oil, onion, and garlic and saute for a few minutes until the onion turns translucent and the garlic releases its aroma.
- Pour in the passata and put 1 cup /250ml of water into the passata jar and shake well to get the rest of the sauce and pour into the saucepan, stir well.
- Add in the sugar and let simmer for 20-25 minutes. If you’re adding the wine, add 10 minutes into the cooking time. It’s totally optional but it will add a beautifully rich flavour.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the patties and sauce are finished, serve the patties with about 2 tablespoons of the sauce on top.
- Served best with some rice and salad, bread or as a starter on their own.
Breadcrumbs: Put the fresh bread into your food processor (with an S blade) and pulse until you get a bread crumb consistency.
Vegan parmesan: In a food processor, add 1½ cups raw cashews, ½ cup nutritional yeast, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon salt. Blend until you get a breadcrumb-like consistency and set aside. You can make more and save some in the fridge for use on other dishes like pasta, salad etc.
When using the food processor for the basil, making the breadcrumbs and the parmesan, don’t worry about washing it in between each use. Save some time and water.
- Diet: Vegan