Mushroom fajitas never looked so good! A healthy family-friendly meal that’s perfect for a weeknight dinner or lunch.
- 350g / 12.3 ounces king oyster mushrooms*
- 2 small bell peppers,* sliced into strips
- 1 large red onion, sliced into half-moons
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
Spice mix: (combine the following)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes (optional)
- ⅓ cup / 80ml fresh orange juice (juice of 1 medium orange)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon tamari sauce (or soy sauce)
- Shred the mushrooms by running a fork along the fibres, towards you and away from the cap. Once loosened, remove caps and pull apart with fingers. Finely slice caps.
- Place the mushrooms in a bowl with the marinade ingredients and half of the spice mix, toss well. Set aside.
- To a skillet on medium-high heat, add the olive oil, bell peppers, onion and the other half of the spice mix. Use tongs to lightly coat the veggies with the oil, spices and about ½ teaspoon of salt (or to your taste). Fry until the onion becomes mainly translucent and releases an aroma, peppers should soften and become slightly charred – about 12 minutes. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Back into the same skillet, add the marinated mushrooms. Sauté on high heat for about 6-8 minutes, they should appear soft but crispy on the edges. Add approximately ½ teaspoon of salt (or to your taste).
- Combine the mushrooms with the rest of the veggies (optional).
- Enjoy on a variety of different dishes – such as tacos, tortillas, wraps, or make a fajita bowl! We made it in a tortilla that was toasted, with some guacamole (or slices of avocado), cilantro/coriander, and lime juice. Simple, but delicious!
Mushrooms: King oyster mushrooms are not simply large oyster mushrooms, they are a different species. You’ll most likely find them at Asian grocery stores.
Bell peppers: In this recipe, we used both yellow and red peppers for variety – however, you can use whichever you prefer or have access to.
- Diet: Vegan