This sun-dried tomato hummus is the perfect snack option. We love this hummus recipe with asparagus on toast.
- 1 can / 425g / 15 ounces chickpeas, drained and washed
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons unhulled tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes,* drained from oil
- 2 tablespoons oil from the sun-dried tomatoes* (or olive oil)
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Pepper, to taste
The rest: (optional)
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil (rice bran, grapeseed, or sunflower oil work well)
- 2 bunches asparagus, snap off around 2 inches from the bottom.*
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 thick slices rye sourdough (or any other denser bread)
- For the hummus: Place all ingredients and half of the sun-dried tomatoes in a food processor and blend for about 1 minute until smooth. You may need to stop a few times to scrape down the sides to get the right consistency. If there is not enough liquid in there, add a tablespoon of water at a time.
- Add in the second half of the sun-dried tomatoes and pulse a few times. You want them to be blended but still chunky.
- When the hummus is done, set aside.
- To make asparagus: In a frying pan on medium-high heat, add the oil and asparagus. Fry for about 2 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Then add in the garlic and season to taste. Turn and toss all ingredients in the frying pan until the asparagus starts to lightly brown.
- Toast the bread and then spread the hummus nice and thick on top.
- Add the asparagus and serve.
Sun-dried tomatoes: If the sun-dried tomatoes you use don’t come in oil and are dry in a packet, soak them first in boiling water for 10-15 minutes until they are soft.
Asparagus: The way that I prepare my asparagus is by testing how far down the asparagus I can go by bending it slightly and waiting for it to snap. Compost the hard, woody part at the bottom and use the rest.
You will have some leftover hummus that you can save for another time or make for three. If making for three serves, spread the rest of the hummus on another piece of toast and split the asparagus between the three serves of bread.
- Diet: Vegan