Epic tofu scramble with spinach, mushrooms, and spices. This recipe has been tried and tested over many years. Requires only 30 mins, 1 bowl, and 10 ingredients!
- 1.1 pounds / 500g firm tofu (preferably organic)
- 1 medium red onion, cut into half moons
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (from a can)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups (tightly packed) / 60g / 2 ounces baby spinach
- 200g / 7 ounces mushrooms (about 8 mushrooms)
- ¼ cup olive oil*
- ¼ cup tamari sauce (or soy sauce)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1½ teaspoons turmeric powder
For Serving: (optional)
- Nigella seeds
- Sourdough bread
- Crumb the tofu into small chunks with a fork or your hands, and place it into a large mixing bowl.**
- Add all ingredients to the crumbled tofu and mix well.***
- Place a large frying pan on medium-high heat and wait for it to warm up.
- Add the mixture to the pan and fry until the tofu starts lightly browning on the outside. Make sure to keep stirring the scramble as it fries. This normally takes around 15 minutes. Don’t worry, the moisture from the mix will help it from sticking to the pan. If it starts to dry up too much, just add a tablespoon of coconut milk or water. Alternatively, put a lid on it.
- Once cooked, serve with bread, rice, salad, or a wrap. You can also have it on its own.
Olive oil: You could use stock or water instead of the oil for an oil-free option.
**I’ve found it’s much easier to mash/crumble the tofu if you slice it into thin slices first. Also, there’s no need to pat down and dry the firm tofu from the packet.
***When mixing, I found it’s easiest to use your hands, but you can also use a large spoon. By the time you chop, wash and mix the ingredients, it should take about 15 minutes.
- Diet: Vegan