My vegan take on the traditional Bosnian dessert, Tufahije. A super simple recipe to make using only 6 ingredients that you can share with family and friends.
- 1 cup / 220g cane sugar (organic if in the US to make sure it’s vegan)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 apples* (I used the Pink Lady variety)
- ½ cup / 50g walnuts, ground
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
Whipped coconut cream
- Half of this recipe
- 4 cherries (optional)
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, ground (optional)
- For the sugar syrup, add the sugar, lemon juice and 3 cups / 750ml of water to a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Prepare the apples. While the sugar syrup comes to a boil, peel and core the apples, you can use a pairing knife, apple corer, or melon scooper. Make sure you get out all the seeds. You want to create a cavity for the walnut stuffing to sit nicely inside. Keep the peel of one of the apples.
- Poaching the apples. Once the water has come to a boil, reduce to a simmer and add the apple peel and the apples. Simmer for 3-5 minutes on each side; flipping it with a spoon and fork is easiest.*
- Once the apples have finished poaching, remove from the sugar water onto a plate and set aside to cool. Keep the poaching liquid.
- Making the walnut stuffing. In a small bowl, combine walnuts, cinnamon and 1-2 tablespoons of the poaching water. You want to create a very thick (not runny) paste that will be your filling for the apples. Set aside.
- Make your whipped coconut cream as per the recipe linked above.
- Assembling. Once the apples have completely cooled, it’s time to assemble. Take a small spoon and stuff each apple with about 2 tablespoons of the walnut filling, making sure to push it down to the bottom. You want the walnut stuffing to create a slight dome at the top, so don’t be shy to overfill slightly.
- Pour a little bit of the poaching liquid over each apple and set it aside in the fridge until you’re ready to serve. They’re best served cold.
- Top with whipped coconut cream, a cherry, and sprinkle with some ground walnuts.
- They will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.
See notes above to find the best apples for poaching.
Simmering apples: This will depend on the size of your apples, what variety you use and how hot the sugar syrup is. I did mine for 3½ minutes on each side.
Please read the tips earlier in the post for best results.
- Diet: Vegan