These creamy, decadent, chocolatey vegan black forest trifle cups are easy to make yet look sophisticated. Perfect for treating friends and family over the holidays and other special occasions.
- Make half the classic chocolate cake
- Whipped coconut cream – add an additional ½ cup of the coconut cream and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
Chocolate custard layer:
- Vegan custard recipe
- 50g / 1.76 ounces vegan dark chocolate
- 670g / 1.48 pound jar Morello cherries, drained
- Fresh cherries (optional)
- Dark vegan chocolate, for decoration (optional)
- Chocolate cake: First, make the classic chocolate cake (linked above) – use only half the recipe as you’ll need half the amount of sponge that the cake recipe makes.
- Instead of a cake tin, you’ll be baking it in any flatter baking tray that is approximately 24cm x 24cm / 9.45 inches x 9.45 inches. Line it with parchment paper before baking for around 20-30 minutes. It’s done when a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
- Whipped coconut cream: While the cake bakes, you can make the coconut whipped cream (linked above).
- Once made, set aside in the fridge for at least 2 hours to set.
- Chocolate custard: Now, you can move onto the custard (linked above). Once the custard is done, turn off the heat and stir in the dark chocolate until it has completely melted and incorporated. Cool completely.
- Once all the ingredients for your trifle are cool and set, you’re ready to start assembling.
- Before you get started, cut the sponge into smaller squares, it will be easier to place inside the ramekins or glasses that you’re using. My glasses hold 420ml / 14.2 ounces.
- Place a couple of pieces of cake on the bottom of the glass and press it down so that there are no holes/empty pockets. If you like, you can soak the sponge with some of the juice from the morello cherry jar.
- Next is the first layer of morello cherries, followed by the whipped coconut cream. From there, you add the chocolate custard, another layer of cherries, followed by the last layer of whipped coconut cream.
- Finish it off with some fresh cherries, and shaved dark chocolate (optional).
- Set in the fridge for at least an hour before serving. This dish is best served cold. I like to leave mine for a minimum of two hours to let the flavours infuse a little more.
- Diet: Vegan