If you love chocolate, custard, cherries and cream, you’ll love these vegan black forest trifle cups!
Creamy, decadent, rich and melt in your mouth dessert that everyone will love. It’s easy to make and gets better with age. This plant-based trifle is perfect for the holidays when you want to impress your friends and family with something that looks complex, but is super easy to make and assemble.
This is my second trifle recipe. You can find the other trifle cups that have classic flavours with a beautiful touch of colour and sweet flavour from berries.
This recipe is a healthier alternative to the dairy and egg-laden traditional trifles. Like any good dessert, it’s more satisfying than anything store-bought.
I love it when others enjoy the food that I make. This is one of my favourites to put together as a treat when we have guests over, or we take something with us to share.
Kitchen tools needed to make this vegan trifle
The items that you’ll need to execute this dessert are:
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Large bowl
- Small bowl
- Fine mesh strainer (for sifting dry ingredients)
- Mixing spoon
- Baking dish
- Unbleached parchment paper
- Hand-held or electric whisk
- Medium saucepan
- Small knife
- Peeler (for shaving chocolate)
Tips for making these easy vegan black forest trifles
However, here are a few tips to help you with the trifle itself.
- These cups can be made the day before you want to serve them. The flavours will mature over time.
- If you don’t have glasses that are a similar shape to mine, you can always make one big trifle and serve it individually at the table.
- Want to make this more traditional? Add some of your favourite liquor for the chocolate cake to soak up. Fruit-based ones like a cherry or raspberry liqueur, light or dark sherry are the best ones to use. I personally find that it doesn’t need the extra something as it’s moist and flavourful without it.
- If fresh cherries aren’t in season, decorate with more morello cherries from the jar.
Layers in these vegan black forest trifle cups
Chocolate cake – it’s such an easy recipe to put together! With the added coffee, you’ll achieve the beautifully rich, deep chocolate goodness of your dreams.
Cherries – the cherries add a touch of freshness and moisture to the trifle, giving the overall dessert a balanced flavour. The morello cherry juice that we use to soak the chocolate cake takes the sponge to another level.
Coconut whipped cream – creamy and decadent; the coconut whipped cream provides balance to the rich and sweet chocolate layers.
Chocolate custard – the custard turns out as a silky smooth, rich chocolate with a hint of caramel.
You can, of course, layer this vegan black forest trifle in any way you like!
I have just put together some inspiration for you. I hope you can add your own spin to it. If you’d like some crunch in your trifle, you can add some small chunks of chocolate or nuts inside it too.
Other vegan dessert recipes you’ll love:
- Vegan Trifle Cups with Berries
- Baked Vegan Blueberry Cheesecake
- Easy Vegan Tiramisu (Gluten-Free)
- Vegan Vanilla Cake with Coconut Cream and Berries
- No-Bake Vegan Chocolate Mousse Cake