This vegan chocolate and pear cake loaf is soft, moist and delicious. Perfectly paired with a cream cheese frosting that takes this loaf to another level. It’s great as a morning or afternoon tea treat, or even breakfast!
- ½ cup / 100g coconut oil, melted (measured while solid)
- 1¼ cup / 310ml plant milk, room temperature (I used coconut and soy milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup / 135g plain all-purpose flour
- 1 cup / 120g spelt flour
- ⅓ cup / 40g desiccated coconut
- ¾ cup / 120g coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 2 Bosc pears, peeled, deseeded and chopped
- ½ cup / 60g vegan chocolate, chopped + extra for topping
- Cream cheese frosting
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius (355 degrees Fahrenheit) and line a loaf tin with unbleached parchment paper.
- Combine all the wet ingredients in one bowl and mix well. If your coconut oil isn’t already melted, you can do so on the stove and add the rest of the wet ingredients into the pot to combine well.
- In a separate large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and mix with a whisk, breaking up any lumps.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well to incorporate.
- Fold in the pear and chocolate and pour into the prepared loaf tin.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. I normally check every half hour as all ovens are different.
- While the loaf is baking, you can prepare the cream cheese frosting.
- Once the cake is baked, let it cool completely in the loaf tin before removing from tin and parchment paper.
- Spread the cream cheese frosting over generously and finish off with some chopped chocolate if desired.
- If you’re baking this on a warm-hot day, the cream will be okay outside the fridge for a couple of hours before it starts to become very soft. Pop the cake in the fridge if you think it will start to soften too much.
- Diet: Vegan