This vegan chocolate cake is decadent, easy to make, and beautifully rich. It’s perfect for that chocolate fix or for a special occasion.
- 2 cups / 270g plain flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 cup / 150g coconut sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60g cacao powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup / 220ml espresso or strong coffee (preferably freshly made and still warm)
- 1 cup / 230ml plant milk (I’ve tried with soy, almond, and coconut)
- ½ cup / 105ml neutral oil (I use rice bran oil)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup / 80ml maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius (355 degrees Fahrenheit) and place the oven rack in the middle. Line a 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper and grease the sides for easy removal from the pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift all the dry ingredients and whisk together to combine well.
- In a separate smaller bowl, combine all the wet ingredients and whisk them until they are well combined and slightly frothy.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix using the whisk until there are no lumps. Please don’t over mix!
- Pour batter into the prepared tin and tap on the benchtop a few times to release any air bubbles.
- Place on the middle rack in the oven, baking for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Bake until the skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake. Please don’t be tempted to open the oven any sooner as this will make the cake collapse in the middle as it cools. You will see that the cake is starting to separate from the sides of the pan; this is when you can test to see if it’s finished. You want the cake to spring back if you touch the top.
- While the cake bakes, make the chocolate ganache.
- Once the cake is done, let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes before carefully removing it and letting it completely cool on a wire rack.
- Place in the fridge to firm up a little before frosting the cake. It will make it much easier to apply.
Note: This recipe is for one layer of the chocolate cake pictured. If you would like the full two-layered chocolate cake, double the recipe and bake two evenly distributed batters for the same amount of time in two cake pans. Make sure to also double the ganache recipe.
Please read the tips earlier in the post for best results.
- Diet: Vegan