No wheat, no dairy, insanely decadent. These vegan gluten-free chocolate cookies are crispy on the outside and chewy in the middle, just the way a chocolate cookie should be!
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ cup / 110ml neutral oil (I used rice bran oil)
- 1 cup / 150g coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250g / 1¾ cup 1-to-1 gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarb soda
- ½ teaspoon fine salt
- ⅓ cup / 30g cacao powder
- 100g / ¾ cup vegan chocolate chunks
- Salt flakes
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the wet ingredients plus ¼ cup / 60ml water for around 1 minute until well combined and when the sugar has dissolved.
- Sift in the dry ingredients and mix. Don’t overmix.
- Fold in the chocolate chunks and refrigerate for 1 hour. Don’t skip this step.
- 15 minutes before you take the cookie dough out of the fridge, preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius (350 degrees Fahrenheit) and line two baking trays with unbleached parchment paper.
- Once the cookie dough is ready, remove it from the fridge, and using a spoon, scoop out round balls and place onto parchment paper. (See image above for size and shape.) If you’re using a large tray, 6-8 cookies will fit. Make sure if you use two trays that the one that’s lower in the oven bakes for a little longer.
- Sprinkle a pinch of flaked salt on each ball.
- Place in oven and bake for 16-18 minutes. Mine takes 18 minutes to create that nice crispy edge and gooey centre.
- Leave on the baking tray to cool completely.
- Diet: Vegan