This is an easy vegan herb potato salad that is mayo-free and delicious to take to a barbeque, potluck, picnic, or enjoyed as a side dish at home. Packed with fresh herbs, capers, and a whole grain mustard dressing, this potato salad will quickly become your new go-to side dish!
- 900g / 2 pounds waxy potatoes (we used Red Eye potatoes)
- ⅓ flat-leaf parsley, chopped*
- ⅓ cup chives, chopped*
- 3 tablespoons dill, chopped*
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves, chopped*
- 1–2 tablespoons baby capers (chopped if they’re not baby capers)
- ¼ cup / 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Pepper, to taste
- Wash and scrub the potatoes (do not peel them) and cut them into bite-sized pieces. Add them to a large pot of generously salted water and bring to a boil and cook until fork tender- when there’s a little bit of resistance to pierce through them. This should take about 15-20 minutes.
- In the meantime, chop all your herbs.
- In a small bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients and mix well.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain the water and let them sit in the colander for a few minutes to drain off any excess water and let them cool slightly. If you want to serve this salad cold, let them cool completely.
- Add the cooked potatoes, chopped herbs, capers, and dressing to a large bowl and toss until all the potatoes are well coated.
- Serve straight away or refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Herb measurements: Measurements for the herbs were taken once they were chopped.
Potatoes: Don’t be tempted to cook the potatoes whole. They cook faster if you cut them before cooking. Cooling down the potatoes in a colander after draining the water increases their resistant starch with helps with gut health. If you want to digest them well, serve this salad cold.
Swapping out ingredients: If you don’t want to use chives or don’t have access to them, you can use thinly sliced scallions/spring onions instead. You can also replace the capers with pickles/gherkins. Just chop them up into caper size.
Want to turn it into a meal? If you’d like this salad to have more substance, you can add green beans, red onions, chickpeas, butter beans or peas.
This potato salad will keep refrigerated for up to 3 days. Fresh herbs are better eaten fresh. They will darken over time, so keep that in mind if you don’t enjoy them straight away.
- Diet: Vegan