This vegan herb potato salad makes the perfect side dish to take to any summer barbecue, picnic, potluck, or a quick and easy addition to your meal at home.
It takes 25 minutes from start to finish and is a great alternative to the mayonnaise laden potato salads. This easy herb potato salad can be served warm or cold.
The waxy potatoes are tossed with four different fresh herbs- parsley, dill, chives and mint and coated in a tangy whole grain mustard dressing and little bursts of capers.
A great alternative to mayonnaise-based vegan potato salad
I don’t know about you, but I’m not a fan of mayonnaise-based potato salads – especially if they’re store-bought. The only exception I’ll make is this Olivier salad that you could swap out the homemade mayonnaise recipe for your favourite store-bought one.
Free Recipe eBook
Join our weekly newsletter and get our eBook featuring exclusive breakfast recipes to kickstart your mornings!
There’s something a little off-putting to me about them. So this mayo-free potato salad is a great crowd-pleaser as it’s egg and dairy free!
The other awesome thing is that you don’t have to serve it cold. It speeds up the process if you want to enjoy it straight away, and it helps the potatoes to be slightly warm, so the dressing and herbs stick to the starch in the potatoes and coat them nicely.
What can you serve with this herbaceous potato salad?
The options are endless! Here’s just a small selection of great dishes that pair well with a mayo-free potato salad.
- Vegan sausages or other plant protein
- Caprese salad
- Panzanella salad
- Chargrilled red peppers
- Mushroom fajitas
- Cauliflower lentil tacos
- Stuffed mushrooms
- Baked beans
- Lentil loaf with a maple-balsamic glaze
- Bruschetta 4-ways
- Spiced quinoa and eggplant rolls
Best potatoes for a vegan potato salad
Waxy potatoes are always best as they have less starch, which means they will retain their shape after boiling. Here are a few options; however, keep in mind that they will vary from country to country and sometimes have different names for the same potato. Just find the waxy potatoes that are local to your area and are suitable for a salad.
- New potatoes
- French fingerling
- Red bliss
- Baby potatoes
- Red Adirondack
- Russian banana
- Dutch cream
- Red royale
- Red eye
The absolute best potato varieties are the smaller kind as they’ve got thinner skin and cook faster. You don’t want to have thick skin to chew through while enjoying the salad.
Tips and tricks to make the best vegan herb-based potato salad
- Cooling down the potatoes in a colander after draining the water increases their resistant starch, which helps with gut health. If you want to digest them well, serve this salad cold.
- If you don’t want to use chives or don’t have access to them, you can use thinly sliced scallions/spring onions instead.
- You can also replace the capers with pickles/gherkins. Just chop them up into smaller pieces.
- If you’d like this salad to have more substance, you can add green beans, red onions, chickpeas, grilled red pepper strips, butter beans, or peas.
- This potato salad will keep refrigerated for up to 3 days. Fresh herbs are best eaten fresh. They will darken over time, so keep that in mind if you don’t enjoy it straight away.
- Don’t be tempted to cook the potatoes whole. They cook faster if you cut them before cooking. They are ready when they’re fork tender- when there’s a little bit of resistance to pierce through them.
This herbed potato salad is:
- Light and creamy
- Easy to make
- Packed full of fresh herbs
This salad is easy to prepare last minute and is a super versatile side dish. If you really like dill, add more in! Don’t like chives? Reduce or swap them out. I created the ratios with the herbs how I like them and how I find it balanced, but you do you. Experiment and have fun in the kitchen!
Other wonderful recipes you’ll love:
- Panzanella Salad (Italian Tomato & Bread Salad)
- Vegan Walnut Pesto
- Easy Potato, Pea and Dill Soup
- High Protein Vegan Salad
- Simple Potato and Radicchio Salad