A delicious creamy vegan mushroom risotto that is restaurant-style quality in the comfort of your own home. Quick and easy meal for everyone to enjoy.
- 5 cups / 1.25 litres vegetable broth* or stock
- ¼ cup / 50ml + 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1½ cups / 300g arborio rice (risotto rice)
- 450g / 15.87 ounces variety of mushrooms*
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2–3 tablespoons lemon juice (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Heat the vegetable stock in a pot and have it on a gentle simmer, ready for the risotto.
- In a large pot on medium heat, add the ¼ cup of olive oil, onions and garlic and saute for a couple of minutes until the garlic and onions start to get a bit of colour.
- Add in the dry rice and stir to combine. Saute the rice like this for around 5 minutes. This will lightly toast the rice.
- Pour in one ladle of stock, which should be just enough to cover the rice. You don’t want the stock to cover more than just the rice. Mix well. Make sure to mix every 30 seconds to a minute, so it doesn’t stick to the bottom and cooks evenly.
- As soon as the stock starts to evaporate from the bottom of the pot, add in more stock. Keep repeating the process until you use all the stock.
- While the rice cooks, add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil and mushrooms to a hot skillet on medium-high heat. Saute until the mushrooms start to cook down and get a nice brown colour on them.
- Add the mushrooms to the risotto when you have the last bit of stock left. At this point, also add in the thyme.
- Once the rice is cooked and you’ve used up all your stock, turn the risotto off and stir in the nutritional yeast.
- Season with salt and pepper and add a squeeze of lemon if desired. Stir well and taste test to make sure you’ve seasoned it well.
- Cover the pot with the lid fully on and let sit for 2-3 minutes to finish cooking in its own steam.
- Serve immediately.
Vegetable broth: If you don’t make the broth that I have linked, make sure when warming up your stock to add a generous tablespoon of dark miso paste that will add a beautiful umami flavour and colour to your risotto.
Mushrooms: I have listed the variety of mushrooms you can use earlier in the post. Any mushrooms will do.
- Diet: Vegan