A rich and creamy vegan potato gratin that makes the perfect side dish for any occasion. It’s gluten and dairy-free and filled with nutritious ingredients.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1½ cups / 375ml unsweetened soy milk
- 1 cup / 240g coconut cream,* (or full-fat coconut milk)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, finely chopped (or 1 tablespoon dried rosemary)
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt, (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 kilo / 2.2 pounds yellow flesh potatoes, peeled and washed (we used Dutch Cream)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celcius (390 degrees Fahrenheit).
- In a large saucepan on medium-high heat, add the olive oil and onion. Sauté for a few minutes until they start to soften.
- Add in the garlic and cook for a further couple of minutes.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients besides the potatoes and stir well. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 3 minutes. Turn off and set aside.
- In a food processor with the slicing attachment, slice the potatoes to around a 3mm / 0.12 inches thickness. (On my food processor, that is the thinnest setting.)
- Once you’ve put through all the potatoes, add them to the saucepan and give it a good stir, making sure to cover all the potatoes with some of the sauce.
- Transfer it all to a medium baking dish (mine was 24cm x 24cm / 9.45 inches x 9.45 inches) and spread out evenly.
- Cut some baking paper to fit the size of your baking dish and press down the potatoes with it (like a cartouche without the hole), and bake for 20 minutes. Make sure to fold the baking paper around the edges of the dish so that you’ll be able to peel it off easier once out of the oven. (Refer to image further up in the recipe.)
- After 20 minutes, remove the baking paper by peeling it back and return the gratin back to the oven to bake for a further 20 minutes.
- If you want a nice brown top, place under the oven grill for a few minutes to achieve this look at the end.
- Remove from oven and serve.
Coconut cream: Coconut cream is the thick part that sits at the top of the can of coconut cream or chilled coconut milk.
- Diet: Vegan