Perfect lunch for a hot day with a cold drink. Even a meat-eater will fall in love with this sandwich goodness.
- ¼ cup rice bran oil (or any neutral cooking oil)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- ¼ cup vegan fish sauce
- ¼ cup tamari sauce (or soy sauce)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 500g / 1.1 pounds firm tofu, sliced into 1-inch thick pieces
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- ½ cup raw cashews
- Pinch cayenne pepper (or more if you like it spicy)
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 gherkins, sliced
- 8 leaves Iceberg lettuce (or any other salad leaf)
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- In a skillet on low-medium heat, add the oil and onions and fry for 10-15 minutes until they start to brown and lightly caramelise.
- Add in the vinegar and sugar and fry for a further 5-7 minutes until soft and golden.
- While the onion is frying, whisk together the fish and tamari sauce and 1 teaspoon of the garlic powder in a bowl.
- Transfer the mix into a more shallow dish and place the slices of tofu inside to marinate for about 15-20 minutes, turning over after 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Place the tomato sauce, mayonnaise, cashews, cayenne and smoked paprika powders, 1/3 cup of water and salt into a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Once you have finished frying the onions, remove them from the skillet and leave the oil behind to use for the tofu. Place the slices of tofu and fry for around 3-5 minutes on either side until brown and lightly crispy.
- Start to assemble the sandwich by placing the lettuce, gherkins, avocado, tofu, onions and mayo on top of a slice of bread and top it with another slice of bread.
- Diet: Vegan