Juicy Vegan Tofu Sandwich With Smoked Mayo
A recipe like this juicy vegan tofu sandwich with smoked mayo takes me back to earlier this year when we were travelling through the West Coast of the US. More specifically, the amazing places we ate at in Portland and Seattle that inspired this recipe, and many others.
The delicious sandwiches, burritos, burgers and wraps we ate were out of this world. But honestly, this one is right in there with the best of them.
My husband Michael and I wanted to experiment in the kitchen together and create a tofu sandwich that would make any vegan proud to serve friends and family. Mainly to those who believe that all vegans eat is salad (eg. rabbit food). This sandwich can compete with any other, vegan or not!
The secret behind this vegan tofu sandwich
A lot of it has to come down to how you marinate the tofu and the sauce you pair with it.
Free Recipe eBook
Join our newsletter and get our eBook featuring exclusive breakfast recipes to kickstart your mornings.
I like to create recipes with ingredients that most people would already have in their pantry.
The one thing that I did buy which we don’t always have (and I personally wouldn’t use it for anything else than marinate) is the vegan fish sauce. The smell is so overpowering, and we didn’t really find the right fit for how to use it besides in this recipe. If you don’t have access to it, just use the garlic powder and tamari sauce, that will work just as well.
The perfect sandwich for a warm day
This recipe isn’t something we frequently eat in our house, but with the weather warming up, it felt like the right time to share it. I know all of you around the world that aren’t in Australia are all going into Autumn/Fall but I think it’s also very fitting for that season with a nice kombucha or beer.
Other recipes you’ll love:
- Vegan Tempeh Reuben Sandwich
- Vegan Tacos with Lentils & Cauliflower (Gluten-Free)
- Easy Vegan Hash Browns With Caper Mayo
- Vegan Bruschetta Toppings Done Four Ways
- Vegan Falafel Wrap
- Lemongrass Tofu
If you try this recipe, let me know! We’d love for you to leave a comment and rating below. If you want to go that extra mile, tag us on Instagram or share your photo of the recipe on Pinterest.Print
Juicy Vegan Tofu Sandwich with Smoked Mayo
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4
Perfect lunch for a hot day with a cold drink. Even a meat-eater will fall in love with this sandwich goodness.
- ¼ cup rice bran oil (or any neutral cooking oil)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- ¼ cup vegan fish sauce
- ¼ cup tamari sauce (or soy sauce)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 500g / 1.1 pounds firm tofu, sliced into 1-inch thick pieces
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup vegan mayonnaise
- ½ cup raw cashews
- Pinch cayenne pepper (or more if you like it spicy)
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 gherkins, sliced
- 8 leaves Iceberg lettuce (or any other salad leaf)
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- In a skillet on low-medium heat, add the oil and onions and fry for 10-15 minutes until they start to brown and lightly caramelise.
- Add in the vinegar and sugar and fry for a further 5-7 minutes until soft and golden.
- While the onion is frying, whisk together the fish and tamari sauce and 1 teaspoon of the garlic powder in a bowl.
- Transfer the mix into a more shallow dish and place the slices of tofu inside to marinate for about 15-20 minutes, turning over after 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Place the tomato sauce, mayonnaise, cashews, cayenne and smoked paprika powders, 1/3 cup of water and salt into a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Once you have finished frying the onions, remove them from the skillet and leave the oil behind to use for the tofu. Place the slices of tofu and fry for around 3-5 minutes on either side until brown and lightly crispy.
- Start to assemble the sandwich by placing the lettuce, gherkins, avocado, tofu, onions and mayo on top of a slice of bread and top it with another slice of bread.
- Diet: Vegan
Thanks for sharing this incredible sandwich recipe with detailing as well as you have mentioned timing also.
You’re welcome Lency! Hope you enjoy it 🙂