This four-ingredient rich tomato sauce with watermelon rind is a great zero-waste, budget-friendly tasty recipe.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 cups (approx 850g / 1 medium sized watermelon) of watermelon rind, cut into bite-sized pieces* (the white part of the watermelon)
- 1 can / 425g / 14.99 ounces diced tomatoes
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Place a large saucepan on medium heat and add the oil and onion. Saute for around 5 minutes.
- Add the watermelon rind cooking for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally with the pot lid slightly askew to keep all the moisture in the pot.
- After 10 minutes, add in the diced tomatoes and ½ cup / 125ml of water (I add the water to the tomato can to get the remained of the tomatoes and juices out of the can).
- Cook for 30 minutes or until the watermelon is nice and soft, making sure to stir occasionally.
- Once it’s cooked, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve with mashed potatoes.
Watermelon rind: Use one of the methods that I outlined above to peel the darker green skin off. This part you discard and only use the white section (and a little bit of pink is okay too).
- Diet: Vegan