These berry-filled vegan trifle cups are the perfect refreshing dessert for any occasion. Light and fluffy, you won’t feel naughty eating a cup of this goodness!
- Make half of the vanilla cake (just the sponge)
- Whipped coconut cream (add an additional ½ cup / 120g coconut cream and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup)
- 5 tablespoons raspberry jam
- Berries, for layering (I made some with blackberries and raspberries and others with blueberries and strawberries.)
- Vegan dark chocolate (optional)
- Vanilla cake: Use only half the recipe as you will need half the amount of sponge that the cake makes.
- Instead of a cake tin, you’ll be baking it in any flatter baking tray that is approximately 24cm x 24cm / 9.45 inches x 9.45 inches. Line it with parchment paper before baking for around 20-30 minutes. It’s done when a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
- Coconut whipped cream: Make the cream. Once made, set aside in the fridge for 2 hours to set.
- Custard: Make the custard. You can adjust the cornstarch depending on how thick you’d like the custard. This is totally personal preference.
- Once all the ingredients for your trifle are cool and set, you’re ready to start assembling.
- Before you get started, cut the sponge into smaller squares so it’s easier to place inside the ramekins or glasses that you’re using. (My glasses hold 420ml / 14.2 ounces.)
- Assembly: Distribute all ingredients equally between the 5 glasses starting with the cake. Place a couple of pieces of cake on the bottom of the glass and press it down to have no holes/empty pockets. Followed by a tablespoon of jam spread over the cake evenly.
- Next is the custard, followed by the first layer of berries. From there, you add the whipped cream and another layer of berries.
- Finish it off with shaved dark chocolate and set it in the fridge for at least an hour before serving. This dish is best served cold. I like to leave mine for a minimum of two hours to let the flavours infuse a little more.
Want a hint of passionfruit? Fold my passionfruit curd into the coconut cream, or add it as a new layer for extra deliciousness!
- Diet: Vegan