A vegan falafel bowl with smooth hummus, crispy falafels, quick tabbouleh, and grilled zucchini, topped off with a creamy tahini dressing. All the goodness you’ll ever want inside a bowl!
- 1 can (400g / 14.10 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or 1½ cups cooked chickpeas)
- 2 tablespoons tahini (hulled or unhulled)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pinch ground cumin
- 2–4 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons couscous (and 2 tablespoons boiling water)
- 1 cup curly leaf parsley, finely chopped
- ½ spring onion, finely sliced (around 2 tablespoons, white part only)
- 5 mint leaves, finely chopped
- ½ cup / half a medium tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds, toasted (optional)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Pinch sumac (optional)
- To make the hummus: Add all ingredients to a food processor and start with 2 tablespoons of water. Blend until smooth, and add more water if necessary to get a smooth and creamy hummus. Set aside.
- To make the tabbouleh: Add the couscous and boiling water to a small bowl and let it sit for 5 minutes. Fluff up the couscous with a fork and let it cool. Once cooled, add the rest of the ingredients to a bowl and add the couscous. Stir well, and then set aside.
- Grill the zucchini slices on a barbeque, skillet, or grill pan. You may need a little bit of oil, so it doesn’t stick. Once done, set aside.
- Make the falafels as per the recipe.
- As the falafels are frying, you can prepare the tahini dressing as per the recipe.
- Now you’re ready to assemble. To each bowl, divide the hummus, tabbouleh, zucchini, falafels, and drizzle with the tahini dressing. Add a wedge of lemon if you like.
- If you want to save it for later, keep all the components separately in containers in the refrigerator for up to a couple of days. The tabbouleh should be left undressed if prepared more than 24 hours before.
Total time: This doesn’t include soaking time for chickpeas needed for the falafels. They need to be soaked overnight. The time includes everything else in the recipe.
- Diet: Vegan