Easy Vegan Apple Almond Cake
This vegan apple almond cake is a moist, sweet, and easy to make one-bowl recipe. It’s dense but fluffy and has the beautiful flavours of almonds with the use of almond flour, flakes and essence. If you love the taste of marzipan, you’ll love this cake!
It makes the perfect treat for afternoon tea, a celebration, or a picnic in the park. It keeps really well and can be enjoyed over several days.
So, next time you’re after a quick and foolproof cake to throw together, give this vegan apple and almond cake a go!
Kitchen tools needed to make this cake
You don’t need much to put this cake together. Here are the tools needed to get the job done:
Free Recipe eBook
Join our newsletter and get our eBook featuring exclusive breakfast recipes to kickstart your mornings.
- Large bowl
- Kitchen scales (preferable over cup measurements)
- Tablespoon measurements
- A knife
- 8-inch springform pan
- Parchment paper
Read more: 20 Essential Vegan Kitchen Tools
Variations for this cake using other fruits and berries
I initially made this cake using plums. However, quickly decided to use apples as they’re available throughout the year.
Plums only have a short season and I’d love for you to enjoy this cake all year round. This cake is so versatile, there are many fruits that go well with it.
Here are a few suggestions:
Tips for making this vegan almond cake with apples
- Use kitchen scales to get the best results as cup measurements can vary. When baking precision is paramount.
- Don’t overmix the batter as it will become too dense and lose its lighter texture.
- If you want apple chunks in the cake, you can chop up bite-sized pieces of an extra apple and fold them into the batter before pouring them into the cake tin.
- You can decorate the cake as you like. You can make the apple slices thicker if you want a stronger flavour of the apple. You’ll, however, need an extra apple.
- This cake I believe would freeze well. Let it cool completely first and slice it into portions before freezing. It will keep for up to 3 months in the freezer. I haven’t, however, tested it myself.
- It will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Feel free to try out some of the other flavours with different fruits and berries listed above! My other favourites are plums and cherries.
If you want to take it to the next level, this cake pairs perfectly with some coconut whipped cream, custard or dairy-free vanilla ice cream.
It is, however, great on its own. There’s enough moisture in the cake without the additions.
Let me know if you give it a go with other fruits or berries and how they turned out!
Other apple recipes you’ll love:
- Apple Pie Overnight Oats (Vegan)
- Vegan Tufahije Recipe (Bosnian Walnut Stuffed Poached Apples)
- Easy Vegan Apple Burek (Posna Pita Sa Jabukama)
- Vegan Apple Crumble (Gluten-Free)
- Apple, Blueberry and Vanilla Vegan Oat Bran Porridge
If you try this recipe, let me know! We’d love for you to leave a comment and rating below. If you want to go that extra mile, tag us on Instagram or share your recipe photo on Pinterest.Print
Easy Vegan Apple Almond Cake
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Bake Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: 8-inch cake (8 slices)
An easy one-bowl apple almond cake recipe that is moist, sweet and light. The perfect treat for afternoon tea, a picnic or a potluck!
- 1½ cups / 215g plain flour (all-purpose)
- ¾ cup / 90g almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup / 235ml plant milk
- 1 cup / 235g raw sugar (organic if in the US)
- ½ cup / 100ml neutral oil (we use rice bran or grapeseed oil)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 apple (pink lady or gala are best)
- ¼ cup / 20g flaked almonds
- Confectioners sugar (icing sugar), optional
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit) and line an 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Next, add in the wet ingredients and whisk until just incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture to your pre-lined baking dish and spread out evenly.
- Peel (if you like), core and slice the apple and arrange it in a circle and overlap them over each other slightly.
- Sprinkle with the flaked almonds and put it in the oven to bake for around 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for at least an hour in the baking dish and then remove and let it cool completely.
- This cake will give you eight slices and can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Please use kitchen scales for this recipe for accurate results.
- Diet: Vegan
Made it with pears. Had to leave it with my hosts as they wanted to keep eating it after dinner. Plus so easy to make!!
Haha, that’s great! Now you’ll have to make some more for yourself at home 🙂 Thanks for the review!
This is an amazing recipe! Super easy and incredibly tasty. I did use stork (block form) instead of the oil though. Thank you!
I’m so glad you liked it, Matthew! Thank you for the lovely review 🙂