These smoky BBQ jackfruit sliders with an easy vegan coleslaw are the perfect appetisers for entertaining. Simple to make, but packed with flavour and ready in no time!
It’s a delicious plant-based option inspired by the flavours of traditional pulled pork sliders. Using jackfruit as a meat substitute, I’m certain that this dish will win everyone over.
What makes these jackfruit sliders so good?
The jackfruit mimics the pulled pork texture, providing a familiar texture. The slaw adds freshness, crunch, and more flavour. Pair that with a soft but slightly toasted slider bun, and you’ll go back for another 1 or 2 or 3…no judgement here!
Jackfruit is an affordable ingredient compared to traditional meat options. You’ll also find most of the ingredients in your pantry or at your local supermarket.
Free Recipe eBook
Join our newsletter and get our eBook featuring exclusive breakfast recipes to kickstart your mornings.
Smoky, rich, and mouthwatering. Honestly, the flavour combination is just perfection. Not too sweet, and with a slight kick of heat, they’re perfect for everyone to enjoy.
Tips to make these vegan sliders
- Make sure to use young green jackfruit in brine or water, not ripe jackfruit in syrup.
- Adjust the amount of BBQ sauce according to your taste preference. The only sweetness in this recipe comes from the BBQ sauce that you use. Unlike many other recipes that make BBQ-inspired sliders or burgers, I wanted to keep it to a minimum.
- If you prefer a spicier flavour, you can add some hot sauce or cayenne pepper to the BBQ sauce mixture.
- Don’t shred (or pull apart) the jackfruit at the beginning because it will turn into mush as it cooks. I prefer to have junks and pieces of it in my slider as they will crisp up in the oven nicely. They will break down as they cook, and you can do it with the back of your spatula when you add them to the pan.
- You can easily make the pulled jackfruit and slaw ahead of time and just warm up the jackfruit before assembling the sliders.
- You can easily double or triple this recipe to make these for a larger crowd.
These vegan sliders are great as they are with the recipe below, but if you want to mix things up, here are a few suggestions:
- Add sliced avocado or pickles to the sliders for extra flavour and texture.
- Experiment with different BBQ sauce flavours such as smoky, spicy, or sweet and tangy.
- Serve the pulled jackfruit on tacos or as a filling for wraps instead of sliders.
- If you don’t want to use jackfruit or can’t get access to it, swap it out for king oyster mushrooms.
- If you don’t have slider buns, you can use regular burger buns or even serve the BBQ-pulled jackfruit on a bed of greens as a salad.
The leftover BBQ-pulled jackfruit can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat it in a skillet or microwave before serving.
The same can be done with the slaw. The flavours will also get better with age. No need to heat it.
You can serve these sliders with a side of sweet potato fries, pickles and your favourite beverage. I love it with a light beer or kombucha.
So next time you need an easy crowd-pleaser, give these jackfruit sliders a try!
If you want another great slider recipe, give these Antipasto Vegan Sliders a go. They’re just as delicious!
Other recipes you’ll love:
- 5-Ingredient Vegan Guacamole
- How To Make Vegan Falafel
- Vegan Tempeh Reuben Sandwich
- Mushroom Fajitas
- Cauliflower Lentil Tacos (Vegan and Gluten-Free)
- Easy Vegan Tomato Tarts with Pesto
- Juicy Vegan Tofu Sandwich With Smoked Mayo