This crispy shredded tofu recipe is so easy to make. It’s incredibly versatile, uses only 5-ingredients and is ready in just 20 minutes!
If you want to add more protein to your meals, this is the perfect way to do so. We’ve fallen head over heels for this recipe, and I’m so excited to share it with you all as I haven’t seen anything like it online!
We use organic firm tofu often in our household as we try to eat higher protein meals.
One day I experimented with tofu and how it can be done in different ways and decided to peel it instead of crump, slice, or cube it. It was a genius idea!
Not only does it marinate and cook faster, but it adds such a great texture to your dishes. It has the perfect balance of crispness and natural softness that thin pieces of tofu bring.
What type of tofu should I use for this recipe?
I use firm tofu. I find that it holds the shape I want it to best while breaking up if needed.
You can try it with extra-firm tofu, but I haven’t used it myself, so I can’t tell you how it will turn out from personal experience.
Side note: Please use organic, GM-free tofu if you have access to it.
Tips for making this crispy shredded tofu
Even though this recipe couldn’t be more straightforward, here are some tips and tricks to get the best crispy shredded tofu.
- Only use firm tofu as mentioned above as others won’t give you the same results.
- Adjust the seasoning (tamari or soy sauce) to your liking, but I found that 3-4 tablespoons is the perfect amount to satisfy most palates.
- If you want deeper flavours, marinate it over a few hours or even overnight in the fridge.
- Using a peeler is crucial in this recipe to get the right texture of the tofu. Please don’t try and swap it for anything else. The only other method that may work is if you slice it VERY thinly by hand or use a mandoline, but even then, you won’t get those nice odd-shaped thin strips of tofu.
- Using an airtight container is the best way to “toss” the tofu to distribute the marinade evenly.
- This is a great base recipe for you to add your own flavour combinations, too—depending on what you’d like to use it for. I like it simple 🙂
- I’m based in Australia, so my measuring spoons are unfortunately slightly different from the ones you get in the US. Please keep that in mind when making my recipes. My tablespoon measurments are 15ml instead of 20ml.
How can this tofu be used with meals?
This recipe is SO versatile, and there are plenty of ways that you can use it. Here are a few suggestions!
- Part of Buddha bowls
- Part of noodle bowls
- In a stir fry
- In a wrap (think kebab wraps or pitas)
- Tossed through fried rice
- In place of pulled pork, chicken or beef
- In a burger or sandwich
- Added to salad
- In place of jackfruit in some recipes
This recipe is:
- Great source of protein
Now that I have your mouth watering, let me share how simple it is to make this delicious, succulent, quick and easy crispy shredded tofu recipe!
Other delicious recipes you’ll love:
- Vegan Buddha Bowls Three Ways
- Easy 5-Minute Vegan Peanut Sauce
- Vegan Noodle Bowl (Gluten-Free)
- Easy Satay Tempeh Marinade
- Vegan Falafel Wraps
- Mushroom Fajitas
- Turkish-Style Shredded Tofu Wraps