These Turkish-inspired tofu wraps are full of the good stuff. Crispy, chewy baked tofu that has been marinated in the best blend of herbs and spices to make the shredded tofu flavourful. A salad of red onions, crunchy lettuce, tomatoes, parsley, and mint with a tahini dressing brings it all together.
They make for a leisurely lunch or dinner and quickly become your new favourite way to enjoy tofu. No bland or boring tofu here! Trust me on this, with that many amazing herbs and spices, you can’t go wrong.
The inspiration behind these marinated tofu wraps
This recipe was inspired by my love of Turkish food and is a hybrid of doner kebab and shawarma. Both are amazing flavour bombs, but both use thinly sliced meat. Shawarma also often has fries nestled in the parcel, making this version a much healthier alternative.
After sharing my shredded tofu recipe last year, I have wanted to create a wrap that utilises tofu done in this way. It resembles that rotisserie-style meat, and the flavours I’ve incorporated into this marinade give it those Turkish flavours.
The combination of the shredded tofu, tahini dressing, and salad nestled inside a warm flatbread makes this wrap so amazing. I know you’ll love it!
By baking the tofu, you can create those crispy and chewy parts with less oil, and the process becomes pretty much hands-off so that you can prepare the rest of the components for this vegan tofu wrap in the meantime.
Tips for making these healthy tofu wraps
- You don’t need to press the tofu before shredding. After watching this video and for a recipe like this where moisture is encouraged, this step can be skipped.
- To save time, you can prep the tahini dressing and marinate the tofu up to two days prior. The salad is best made fresh.
- You can swap the tahini dressing for tzatziki or hummus.
- The tofu can be either baked or pan-fried. I like to bake it as it’s a more hands-off process, and the tofu becomes crispy.
- Depending on the tofu you can access, you may need to use extra-firm tofu. The firm tofu I can get is firm enough, but if the tofu is a little too soft, it will crumble rather than shred when you pull a peeler along. They can vary from brand to brand and what they classify as firm or extra-firm tofu.
- Leftovers of tofu will keep for 3-4 days. Reheat on the stove when you’re ready to use.
What else goes well in these healthy tofu wraps?
You can play around with what flavour combination you like best. I wanted to keep this recipe super simple yet flavourful. These ingredients also work well:
- Pickled vegetables
- Swap the shredded tofu for falafels
- If you like it spicy, add some hot sauce
Other wonderful recipes you’ll love:
- Vegan Falafel Wrap
- Vegan Crispy Shredded Tofu
- Rainbow Falafel Salad with Tahini Dressing
- Vegan Spinach Pie with ‘Ricotta’
- Turkish Stewed Green Beans
- Cauliflower Lentil Tacos (Vegan and Gluten-Free)